Saturday, January 17, 2009

One Down, More to Go


I have a problem with money and I am not afraid to admit it. I also have a problem with facing reality sometimes. That is a huge reason why I got myself in such a mess with debt. Anyway, I'm not going to go into much detail but I did have one debt that was going to the courts and I do not have the $5oo an hour it costs and all the other fees they were telling me I had to come up with. They offered to cut the whole thing and half if I could but down a nice lump sum. Thankfully financial aid just came I was able to call them and give them a few hundred and then the plan is to call every week and pay $100 until it is paid off. Which will take about a month. For those of you that don't have problems with money, I really don't think you could understand that the way I feel today. It is almost a bittersweet thing. I love to look into my account and see money. I feel better about myself when I know I have money. The reality of it is that I had to do this even though I was trying to think of ways out of it. The woman I worked with was nice but gave me a slap in the face for running from them. It hurt. I was embrassed she called me out. It worked though. I gave her the check number over the phone and before she hung up she told me congratulations. I cried. Congratulations on getting a grip and realizing what needs to be done. I have ran long enough and found ways to hide, but it only causes me more stress and agony. This is such a small step but it felt like I took a leap today. My mom gave me encouraging words and explained that once I get the ball rolling on this I will feel 10 times better. I got the ball rolling today and she was right, I feel good. This is just one step so I know there are many obstacles to come.


2 comments:

  1. I totally undersant where you coming from....I have found that getting certin aspects in my life has helpped get other ones in order too.

    Getting my house clean and to a point where I can keep it clean has really helpped out alot in helpping me not emotional eat. As well as get and keep my bills in order.

    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Doesn't it feel great to pay things off? It is such a freeing feeling. I remember what it felt like when I finally paid off the loan for my car. That was such a huge burden. We bought the car a few years back, and if I remember right less than a month after we bought it Matt lost his job. So we had this monster car payment, and after Matt and I separated I had to deal with it until it was finally paid, but I didn't have a choice. I was so relieved when I got the title in the mail. Now I look forward to paying off the rest of my debt and beginning to save for a home. It will come, slowly but surely.

    I'm proud of you Megan...I know what it's like to want to run away from our problems. But they don't go away when we run, they are still there waiting for us, only worse! You got one down, the rest will come in time! Thank you for sharing your successes...I feel lucky to help you celebrate them!

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete